Life as a Farm Wife
Welcome to the ramblings of my mind and the passions of my heart. Who am I? I am a child of God, a wife, a mother, a daughter, a sister, a friend, a teacher and a constant learner... often the hard way.

Monday, August 5, 2013

It's a....BABY!

With each of our children, we have been excited/eager to learn the gender of our baby at the earliest time possible. This has been our personal choice. I realize that many people would rather wait and be surprised at birth to discover the gender of their child, and I respect that. I don't believe this to be an ethical issue, but rather a matter of personal choice. I love the surprise!... when the doc/ultrasound tech lets us know! ;)

Jett kept his gender hidden from us until we had a late pregnancy ultrasound at around 31 weeks. Kalena was considerate enough to let us know she is girl at our midway ultrasound. THIS sweet babe is deciding to go the route of older brother and keep us guessing for a while.... patience isn't my strong suit! Dr's words during the ultrasound were something like this, "Maybe that's a penis... could be a swollen labia..." (sorry if anyone reading this finds this to be offensive, I kind of found it funny). Afterwards, she informed us that there was about a 52% chance our baby is a boy. I later discovered that approximately 52% of babies born are boys, so this really tells us NOTHING!

It is mildly disappointing that we were unable to learn our baby's gender, but hearing the doctor talk about how every part is forming and looking healthy the way that it's supposed to, is incredibly wonderful to hear. Tomorrow, I will be 22 weeks along and I still do not feel much movement in my womb. The ultrasound confirmed that placenta is in the front, which means that baby is kicking against a "pillow" and it does take longer to feel significant movement. Kalena was the same way, but until I can feel consistent movement, I tend to worry that everything is okay.

Here are the ultrasound pics we took home. A cute side profile, then the freaky directly on the face where the eye sockets look empty. ;)



I haven't been good at taking "belly pics" throughout any of my pregnancies, but here's one I took a few days ago. I've had people tell me they think I look "good" or that I don't look "too big". ;) I kinda think they're lying to make me feel good because I feel HUGE.


We aren't able to know the gender of our sweet baby-on-the-way quite yet, but as we imagine our life with a third child, we have a fairly good idea (an educated guess ;) ) of what our wee one will look like. In the following pics, Jett is on the left, Lena on the right. Both are from moments after they were born. I think we seem to have a fairly specific "pattern" and it's hard to imagine our next child looking any different. Jett was 9 lbs 1 oz, and Kalena was 9 lbs 2 oz.


SO, 18 more weeks to go. The time has sort of gone fast, but I am at the point where I'm starting to feel like I've been pregnant forever! I've never been this big during the summer and our 100 yr old house has no air conditioning. At least we have plans to remedy this situation... ;) (blog post coming soon)





1 comment:

  1. You look beautiful! And I'm excited to hear which kind it will be! ;)

    ReplyDelete