Life as a Farm Wife
Welcome to the ramblings of my mind and the passions of my heart. Who am I? I am a child of God, a wife, a mother, a daughter, a sister, a friend, a teacher and a constant learner... often the hard way.

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Breaking Ground

Things are a-changing!!! :)

In the last few days, our backyard has been a stage with an action-filled play happening right before our eyes ;) Let me tell you, I know of one three year old boy who is caught up in the action (and his daddy ;).

On Monday, there were work crews on our yard bright and early. With the right equipment, it really took them no time at all to dig/trench our septic system and bury a 2000 gallon water cistern for our house.
This was my view from my back kitchen window at 8am. 
That snowy rectangle is my garden that is about to be no more.


I took this pic from the window at the top of our stairs.

Jett claimed the 'best seat in the house'. He was pretty thrilled. 
The crews were there doing house prep, but he got these fabulous hills to climb as an added bonus!

I think this is the tube attached to our cistern going in the ground.

There really is SO much to think about when building a house in the country. You don't have the urban conveniences of tapping in to septic, water, power, phone lines, etc. Everything has to be trenched in specifically. 



When the crews were gone, we explored our evolving backyard. The kids think it's great! I think they'll be disappointed when the house is brought and the piles of dirt flattened back into a "normal" yard. ;)


Today, the fun continued. A large excavator and truck arrived bright and early to dig our basement.

Again, this is the view from my back kitchen window.


It's really quite amazing how quickly large equipment can dismantle a yard that has been undisturbed for a century! We even had two large tree stumps that we needed removed to better access the new house site. The backhoe had them out in minutes! No problem!



Right now, our basement looks HUGE! They dig an extra 5 feet out from the perimeter of what will be our basement, which is a lot of space! It looks like we're building our own gymnasium!



I haven't been out to our house (in Hague) this week, although I'm itching to go! I think the house may be completely painted inside by the end of the week!

These next few pics are from a couple weeks ago. As you can see, the drywall is in, as well as the fireplace. We saw it last week in an incredibly dusty mudding/taping/sanding phase.

Living room ;)

Master bedroom. 
(Bed will go in the middle. Ensuite bathroom is on the left beside my walk-in closet)

Baby room

Part of the kitchen/dining room. 

Kitchen/pantry

My beautiful front windows!

Mitch saw the house yesterday and it was being primed for paint. Here are a few of the colours...

It feels like we're building some momentum as the building process continues. It's exciting to see the "ground breaking" here on our yard and I can't wait to live in my new house!

1 comment: