Life as a Farm Wife
Welcome to the ramblings of my mind and the passions of my heart. Who am I? I am a child of God, a wife, a mother, a daughter, a sister, a friend, a teacher and a constant learner... often the hard way.

Thursday, January 1, 2015

More than Thank-You

How do you instil a heart of gratitude in children that have every need and many wants met for them on a daily basis?

As a parent, I really wrestle with this and the commercialized aspect of the Christmas season brings these thoughts to the forefront.

I find that I want to give my children everything their little hearts desire, but I know that this is not what's best for them. When I hear my son say, "I want the most toys in the whole world..." (Thank you, TV toy commercials) I know that we've got some work  to do in the character-building department.

We (my husband and I) pray with and for the kids that they would think of others and have compassionate hearts that stir them to positive action. We want them to know Jesus and to be the hands and feet of Jesus to those they encounter.

BUT they are young kids...
At bedtime, we always ask Jett and Kalena if they want to pray. They often do, but a common battle we have is over who prays first. The kids pray that they wouldn't fight (while they're fighting). They also may accidentally forget to pray for each other as they pray for every other member of our family.

I've tried showing the kids pictures on the internet of children who live with much less than we do to help them realize how much they have to be thankful for. They're trying to get it. ;)

We had Uncle Greg and Aunty Karmen over for brunch the other day. (A treat, to be sure) The plate of bacon was the biggest crowd pleaser on the table and when there was one piece left, Jett was eyeing it up. Rather than giving it to him, I explained that it was good manners to first offer your guests an extra helping. He wasn't completely convinced of this protocol, but he really likes his uncle and aunt, so he didn't raise a fuss when they accepted the last bit of bacon that was offered them. I asked Jett if he understood why we would offer the bacon to our guests. He thought about it for a moment then responded, "Because they don't have any food." (I think he was thinking about the pictures on the internet of less fortunate children) At least this resembles compassion???

We are trying to raise grateful children.

I recognize that modelling an attitude/behaviour is often the best way to teach it. We've included the kids in shopping for our Operation Christmas Child shoe boxes and they love to help choose gifts for their friends/cousins. We're finally at a stage (with my oldest two) where they can give a gift to someone and not freak out about not receiving a gift.

More than all this though, I've had to ask myself if I am truly thankful and if it shows in how I live.

Recognizing how privileged one may be is not the same as living gratefully; thankful in all circumstances.

This past month of December has been a relatively isolated one. Our entire family of five was hit with the cold/flu in a way we've never experienced before. Fevers, chills, plugged sinus, sore throats & coughing. The kids' colds turned into Bronchitis (warranting a round of antibiotics) and we spent a whole lot of time at home. It took at least two weeks before things sounded/felt normal at our place. More than once, I felt myself internally wrestling with a feeling of discontent.

I remember a time in my life when I would leave my home every single day; often multiple times in a day. As an extrovert and adventure seeker, I loved days that were busy with activity and full of socializing.

Life is SO different now. Am I thankful? Grateful? Content?

The cartoon above is a joke. I don't actually harbour resentment. ;)

I am not blind to the many things I have to be thankful for. I have a husband who loves me and provides well for our family. I have three beautiful children who are full of life and make me laugh on a daily (often much more frequent) basis. I'm living in a new house that more than adequately meets the needs of my family. I have an amazing network of extended family and friends that I know I can count on for love and support. This list doesn't come close to being extensive. 

Yet, I find myself sometimes feeling discontent. I think this sentiment is primarily rooted in feeling smothered by this busy toddler stage of child rearing. It can be isolating and while I wouldn't claim to be as much of an extrovert as I was during my college years, I like to get out and be social. After being at church, or an event, Mitch and I often lament over not being able to have a conversation longer than 5 minutes because one of our three children requires our attention. It's difficult to have a heart to heart in five minutes. I know that this is only a season of parenting and I have hope that as my children grow in their independence, I will have more opportunity to be social and pour more energy into friendships.

Struggling with some of these feelings is one thing, but I don't want to wear these negative sentiments on my sleeve. If I want to teach my children to be thankful individuals, I need to BE a thankful individual. It's pretty simple, really.


I want my kids to love giving and to always be thankful for what they have and are given.


The Gratitude Dance :)



I mean, check out this crew. How could I be anything but utterly thankful. ;)



If you see my child in a store, melting down because I won't  buy him/her some toy they are sure they can't live without, KNOW that this is a work in progress...

No comments:

Post a Comment