Life as a Farm Wife
Welcome to the ramblings of my mind and the passions of my heart. Who am I? I am a child of God, a wife, a mother, a daughter, a sister, a friend, a teacher and a constant learner... often the hard way.

Friday, September 21, 2012

The DIY Bedroom Renos that Wouldn't End!

So, we started renovating our second level of our house at the end of February this year, in preparation for the coming of Miss Kalena Jane. If you're curious about what we did to our house, you can check it out here: Old House, New Feel.

It has been fun to watch the rooms transform, but this endeavour has proven to be rather, well... unending! It's not that the transformation has required a whole lot of time/work, but rather that life has gotten in the way of a total completion. Farm life, in the summer especially, takes priority over renos.

Anyway, enough excuses. Let me walk you through my room...


This is what this corner looked like 7 months ago when we tore down the existing built in, not-very-functional, 100 year-old closet. I wish that I had taken a picture of that old closet beforehand, but alas, I did not have the foresight.


The following is a picture of our completed Ikea PAX wardrobe with sliding doors. It is really a very functional space. I LOVE that is goes from the floor to ceiling, although I am very fortunate that it actually fits. I did not do my due diligence when purchasing said wardrobe and measure the height of the room. Thankfully, it fit with literally millimetres to spare, but we had to install it upright rather than on the floor like the instructions recommended. Notice that there is a little more of a gap on the right side? You gotta love 100-year old engineering. :)

This wardrobe is Mitch's space. The right side has shelves...

And the left side has two hanging rods, which the tall wardrobe has plenty of space to accomodate. :)


This pic is almost 7 months old and I posted it in my old blog post, but I put it up here so you can see the continued transformation for yourself :) I was/am happy with how clean this space feels. I love this duvet cover/pillow combo that I picked up from Quilts Etc. and I am a fan of the floating wall shelf. The bamboo blinds, I picked up from Pier 1 Imports like 7 years ago and they're okay. My intention has always been to "accessorize" these walls, but to keep the same "clean" feel.


Here's what I came up with... I welcome criticism. I know that not everyone is a fan of wall decals, but this tree w/birds caught my eye, and the more I look at it in my room, the more I like it. The decal came up on the Steal Network one day (If you don't subscribe to their daily deals, I would recommend it! ... Or save your wallet and don't...) from a company called Sissy Little. They have some cute decals for kids walls, too.

I had originally planned on putting one larger picture on this wall, but as time passed and I had nothing on the wall to look at, I changed my expectations. I am happy with the outcome. Props to Umbrella Photography who took the pics for us. (I realize that you can't fully appreciate them with the glare on the glass)

In the heat of the summer, my father-in-law installed this ceiling fan for us, and it is f.a.n.t.a.s.t.i.c. I'm a fan of the fan. It makes living in an old house with no air conditioning bearable on those +30 summer nights. 


So... now to the unfinished part. It's really not so bad. It's MY wardrobe. You may notice it's lacking some doors. Or, rather, they're not mounted. (They're not actually blue, it's just a protective plastic layer)

HELP!!! I can't find the instructions for installing these doors anywhere!!! This is a PAX wardrobe from Ikea. I think the doors are called PAX Fardal??? Any chance there's someone else out there with this wardrobe who still HAS the instructions? I searched the Ikea website and could not find any instruction manuals.

And you thought I could get all of my clothes into that wardrobe... Nope. :) I use these shelves/ canvas drawers in this corner as well. This is actually an old pic, too. We haven't done anything to change this corner. Other than remove the baby bassinet, of course. :) Lena actually only slept in the bassinet a night or two after we got home from the hospital. We ended up moving her straight into her crib. It's only about 8 steps from our bed and our rooms are only separated by a curtain.


That's it! I welcome any feedback on the space. I've never considered myself overly talented in the decorating department, but I'm happy with our room.

No comments:

Post a Comment